Mono integration to Wine

Kornél Pál kornelpal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 09:07:52 CST 2008

Hi,

Wine is still using Mono by creating a new process altough it has
support for _CorExeMain and _CorDllMain. There is a MonoFixupCorEE
method exported by mono.dll that could be used.

I also did some research on executing exe assemblies without creating a
mono.exe process on MS Windows by injecting code to the new process
before initialization to load Mono. Note that because mscoree.dll is
loaded at a very early process initilization stage no side-by-side
manifests can be used that is required by newer MSVCRTs so I'll most
likely create a separate DLL that will load mono.dll later in
_CorExeMain or _CorDllMain.

For the above mentioned reason it may be better not to use
MonoFixupCorEE yet.

I would like to receive comments on mixed-mode assembly support of Mono
on Wine and if there are people willing to update the Loader to call
_CorValidateImage, _CorExeMain (real entry point is not called for EXEs)
and _CorImageUnloading for managed images.

MSVCRT also should call CorExitProcess on exit.

Kornél