[1/4] winemenubuilder: move path normalization to Process_Link and Process_URL

Ambroz Bizjak ambro at b4ever.net
Mon Dec 1 09:07:11 CST 2008

On Monday 01 December 2008, Francois Gouget  wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2008, Ambroz Bizjak wrote:
> [...]
>
> > To allow that, I've modified winemenubuilder to record created shortcuts
> > to registry, and my service will obtain and maintain the list of .lnk/url
> > files from there.
>
> The general idea is good, but I don't think you should store these paths
> in the registry. Instead the daemon should ask for file change
> notifications for the relevant special folders (CSIDL_STARTMENU, etc)
> and act accordingly when a .lnk or .url file gets added / deleted
> somewhere in thes directories.

In that case the daemon would still have to store the list of known files, so
that if a shortcut is deleted while Wine is not running, or if my service is
not running at that particular time, its removal could still be detected.

Another issue with your suggestion is that it would complicate watching.
Assuming the notification functions don't work everywhere, and they may have
race conditions*,  we still have to poll for changes - that means recursing
the folders.

Last, my service does not yet remove created icons. With the current design,
it is largely a matter of also recording the icon names to registry in
winemenubuilder. It would be quite hard and hackish to locate the icon from
the .desktop file. It would even be hard to get the logical location of the
shortcut only from the location of the .lnk, because functions in menubuilder
that do that require the file to exist.

* I once deleted two watched files in some folder, but only one notification
was generated, and my program found only one of the files missing.