explorer: improve ABM_GETTASKBARPOS stub

Vincent Povirk madewokherd+8cd9 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 01:43:23 CST 2008

This doesn't have to be so hard.

As far as I know, all any real application needs here is a stub. The
stub has to claim success, but the values it gives do not have to be
meaningful. If a real implementation were trivial, I would go ahead
and write one anyway. It isn't so I won't.

I'm not going to find some magical "success, but there isn't a
taskbar" value I can return by testing old operating systems and shell
replacements. The API is defined by developer expectations, when they
happen to be matched by what Windows does. Developers expect, and get,
a system that always has a taskbar.

If a real application actually needs to know where the taskbar is,
I'll take another look at this. Until then, I say we return something
plausible and wrong, as that keeps programs happy.

Vincent Povirk