compiling Windows code with g++ on Linux using msvcrt - good idea? if so, how do you do it?

Michael Karcher wine at mkarcher.dialup.fu-berlin.de
Thu Dec 11 15:24:09 CST 2008

Am Donnerstag, den 11.12.2008, 20:13 +0000 schrieb foobarbaz biffblaff:
> Unfortunately, I will not be able to use wineg++ for a variety of
> political reasons.
Too bad. Do you understand that wineg++ is not completely different
compiler, but just a 21K binary (stripped) that does the needed option
magic to invoke g++ with the right options? It is perfectly OK to use
winegcc/wineg++ to link unix libraries into your windows program. It is
not possible to generate a library any unix program can just open and
use this way, as winelib code needs special startup code. winegcc /
wineg++ takes care of it in the final linking step.

> Is there anyway, even if it involves some non-standard hacking, to get
> the Windows functions defined in
> <wine_install_dir>/include/wine/windows to be compiled in a library
> that I can directly link to with g++ without using wineg++?
The functions are in libraries that g++ can link. These libraries are
in /usr{/local}/lib/wine and called foo.dll.so, where foo is the name of
the Windows DLL you need.

> I mean, wine is all c code right? And it's compiled with the g++ on my
> system?
The wine build system uses winegcc, which in turn uses gcc.

> Has no one ever wanted to do this before?
No one ever feeled inclined to duplicate the functionality of winegcc
because it is small, quick readily available and just works.

I'm sorry that I can't really help you, but I don't understand your
motivation to go that way and what problems you are trying to solve.

Regards,
  Michael Karcher