Unused vtables and debug channels

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 17:48:54 CST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Henri Verbeet <hverbeet at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/12/15 James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com>:
>> Why would you remove any of them?  That's like removing stub functions
>> because we don't know if they're ever called.
>>
> Although it probably doesn't make sense to remove these if people have
> plans for them, I do think that in general you shouldn't add code
> until it's actually needed.

In general sure, but this is an open source project where time
commitments are rarely guaranteed.  For most of the listed cases, I'm
sure the plan was to implement them more fully as soon as possible.
My point is that code cleanup is good, but not to this extent.
Removing dead code is a worthy goal, but I can't imagine a case where
a stubbed interface implementation is dead code.

--
James Hawkins