AppDB rating definitions, was: Re: Canonical and wine

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 19:28:18 CST 2008

2008/12/15 M.Kiesel <wine-devel at continuity.cjb.net>:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Austin English wrote:
>
>> If I had a nickel for every times I've seen platinum and gold ratings for
>> apps that had dozens of native dlls or complicated scripts to work around
>> wine bugs, I'd be a much richer man.
>
> What about clarifying the wording on
> http://appdb.winehq.org/help/?sTopic=maintainer_ratings
> ?
>
> My suggestion for "Platinum":
> "Application installs and runs flawlessly completely/at highest settings
> 'out of the box'. No changes required in winecfg."
> (add "completely/at highest settings")

I think it's fine as is. Some games won't run at highest settings on
Windows, due to crappy video card, etc.

> For "Gold":
> "Application works completely/at highest settings flawlessly in the latest
> Wine development release (no patches needed), possibly with DLL overrides,
> other settings, or third party software."
> (add same as above; add "latest Wine development release"; remove "*some*
> DLL overrides)

The ratings are done on a per version basis, so no need to stipulate
the latest release. The patches and DLL comments I agree with.

> I feel that games that are playable only at low settings shouldn't get Gold
> or Platinum ratings at all. Other opinions?

Depends on how they run in Windows on the same hardware ;-).

> Austin: I think for apps that run completely with tweaks a Gold rating is
> okay regardless of the number of tweaks involved; for the user it doesn't
> matter really whether one or ten DLLs have to be overridden. I wouldn't go
> as far as allowing patched Wine versions though.

I don't disagree with that, though I see it quite a bit when approving
programs in the AppDB (though I'm not the one usually doing it, I only
go through the queue when I'm on the AppDB for other reasons). The
main problem is when it get a _platinum_ rating.

> I also suggest to hyperlink every mention of "Rating" in the browser with
> that page. Otherwise it isn't completely clear (without searching) what the
> individual ratings mean really.

Agreed.

> Who has the rights to change AppDB on that level?

I'll send a patch tomorrow. If you don't see a change within a few
days, remind me.

--
-Austin