Use show instead of glyphshow: gylphshow very slow on kyocera

Wolfgang Walter wine at stwm.de
Tue Dec 16 05:14:56 CST 2008

Hello,

wineps.drv uses the postscript operator glyphshow to print glyphs. This
operator is very slow on all Kyocera postscript printers. To get an idea: its
generally only 1/6 to 1/10 of the performance compared to the same document
printed with the windows xp postscript driver (which does not use glyphsow).

I wrote an email hier where I proposed a patch. This patch changes wineps.drv
such that it uses the show operator for downloaded fonts (type1 and type42).

This change is not trivial as the show operator (and its relatives xshow,
yshow, xyshow) operates on character codes and not on glyhpnames. So
wineps.drv must generate postscript code define an appropriate encoding.

As a font may only have up to 256 characters encoded and as it is not allowed
to modify the encoding once defined the font must be cloned if more then 256
characters are used. This is inexpensive, though, as actually all resources
but the encoding array are shared.

See the patch my earlier mail for a more detailed explanation.

This modification brings the performance of the postscript code generated by
wine up to windows' postscript driver (if no clipping region is defined -
another problem). I tested it on a wide range of kyocera printer models and
two hp models. Of course I tested it with ghostscript.

I would appreciate any comments and ideas.

Regards,
--
Wolfgang Walter
Studentenwerk München