Better user feedback and better user experience (idea)

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Thu Dec 18 18:44:09 CST 2008

Austin English wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 8:07 AM, Steve Brown <sbrown7 at umbc.edu> wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008, Austin English wrote:
>>
>>> In a few years when Wine is more developed and has most the API
>>> implemented, this may be useful, but there's still a lot to do, and we
>>> don't need more reports to tell us this.
>> Keep in mind that the Windows API is a moving target.  In a few years, the
>> API will be no more completely implemented than it is today -- it will just
>> be a different set of calls that aren't done than it is today.
>>
>> Steve Brown
>> sbrown7 at umbc.edu
>>

> Of course, didn't meant to imply that it will be complete at that
> time, but will be moreso than it is now, especially in regards to
> older API functions.

I'm pretty sure we're catching up at this point.  Wine development is
getting faster, and the Windows API is changing slower - Microsoft does,
after all, have to preserve backwards compatibility.

So, it's fair to say that even with the release of Windows 7 Wine's
implementation of the API will be more complete.  Especially the API for
running the apps we care about.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie