Windows version autodetection

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 22:16:03 CST 2008

On Sunday 21 December 2008 07:48:58 pm Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> The heuristic isn't "app works on this Windows version", it's "app is
> designed for this Windows version".

Should that matter? Plenty of Win95 apps will work in WinXP. Sometimes better,
due to the improved functionality/bugfixes XP implicitly provides (I can't
say I know which of these features are handled by Wine, but theoretically..).
Why force it to Win95 mode when it'll work in WinXP?

The apps that don't work in a newer version than they were designed for are a
problem, but not one so easilly discovered or solved. I'd imagine most don't
have a problem with newer versions, so forcing them to use those older
versions for no reason will just end up hiding Wine bugs more than helping
buggy apps.