Windows version autodetection

Chris Howe mrmessiah at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 06:06:44 CST 2008

2008/12/22 Roderick Colenbrander <thunderbird2k at gmx.net>

> Basically microsoft ships its own 'appdb' which contains the windows
> version an app wants to see and in general much, much more things. For
> instance their appdb allows windows to override the return values of
> functions, it can fake the presence of certain files/directories/registry
> keys, it can perform memory hacks and so on.

Something like that, not necessarily as a core part of wine but a
side project in the manner of winetricks, might actually be a good
idea from a user's point of view.

A wine app launcher that maintains a list of known applications
and the compatibility tweaks that are required in order to get them
to run, or at least offer sensible advice (eg, where an app requires
a native dll that is missing in order to work correctly). Its database
would, I guess, be against app name and wine version, and then
as wine improved it would need to do less and less.

--
Chris