DIB Engine

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 10:53:16 CST 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 3:44 AM, Massimo Del Fedele <max at veneto.com> wrote:
> As my DIB engine is becoming usable (I already use it on Autocad for my
> job), I'm thinking to publish the patches.
> As it's still not complete, I'm thinking to add a way to enable it on
> demand with registry and environment variable :
>
> export WINEDIB=ON activates it
> export WINEDIB=OFF deactivates it
>
> if no environment variable, it checks a registry key (I'd like to have
> some suggestion on where to put it).
> If no environment variable nor registry entry are present it'll be
> disabled (by now) as is for testing purposes.

A reg key is a good idea with it off by default. The other thing I did
was if a packager didn't want to include it then it automatically fell
back to winex11 for DIBs to run like before.

> How should I publish it ? A big unique patch, 2 patches, one with the
> (small) changes in gdi32 and another big one with the engine itself, or
> many small patches ?
> Is it right to put on wine patches list ?

My intention to proposing patches would have been in this order.

1. The gdi changes to allow the engine to work.
2. The skeleton of the dib driver.
3. A patch per function with test cases proving the functionality.

But my recommendation for your current work is to make one big patch
for review so I and others can just give you immediate feedback. We
can split it up or put up a git fork later.

Jesse