Implementing dxdiag as student project?

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Sun Dec 28 05:02:34 CST 2008

> Hi folks,
> it seems odd to me that Wine doesn't have a tool like
> dxdiag yet.   We often have people complain that
> graphics aren't working, and we have to ask them
> to do things like run glxgears as diagnostics.
> Would it make sense to implement our own
> dxdiag.exe program?
> This seems like it might be a fun student project.
> - Dan

On Windows the main task of dxdiag is to show some diagnostic info and to run some very basic network, sound and 3d tests. In case of Wine 3D testing would be the most important feature but I'm not sure if it is that useful. There are various causes of slowness e.g. no 3d drivers installed, indirect rendering, driver bugs (e.g. fglrx falling back to indirect rendering due to virtual memory issues in Wine), the use of a composition manager and more. Most of this information can't be retrieved using Win32 APIs or we would need internal APIs.

I think it would be better to write a 'wine3ddiag' script which uses glxinfo, glxgears and which can also check if lets say compiz is running.

Roderick