Implementing dxdiag as student project?

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at
Sun Dec 28 10:18:14 CST 2008

> On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Roderick Colenbrander <
> thunderbird2k at> wrote:
> > Native dxdiag is checking the name of the display driver which in our
> case
> > winex11.drv and I guess this is just the identifier of Winex11.drv.
> Inside
> > winex11.drv we don't really have the knowledge about the 3d hardware we
> are
> > emulating. In the end we might need to duplicate some card detection
> code
> > inside winex11.drv and show a real driver name like the Nvidia or ATI
> ones.
> > It would be a lot of work and only be worth if apps really need it.
> >
> I'm not sure if this is exactly the same string you're looking at, but
> Fallout 3 currently requires a hack for the display driver information or
> it
> will just crash when you try to start a game (
> Erich Hoover
> ehoover at

This is part of the info which we aren't reporting properly right now. Actually the best thing is to report a fake card and drivers as some games use this info to work around driver bus. Other class of programs are too stupid and need 100% correct info. Fallout3 is one of those cases. The registry changes are more or less fine.

Sensationsangebot verlängert: GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!*