Implementing dxdiag as student project?

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 10:34:26 CST 2008

On Sunday 28 December 2008 07:43:57 am Roderick Colenbrander wrote:
> Native dxdiag is checking the name of the display driver which in our case
> winex11.drv and I guess this is just the identifier of Winex11.drv. Inside
> winex11.drv we don't really have the knowledge about the 3d hardware we are
> emulating. In the end we might need to duplicate some card detection code
> inside winex11.drv and show a real driver name like the Nvidia or ATI ones.
> It would be a lot of work and only be worth if apps really need it.

Are there any X functions that winex11.drv can use to get the strings used for
a particular screen? Eg. in xorg.conf, I have:

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Card0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "nVidia Corporation"
    BoardName      "NV80 [GeForce 8600 GT]"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Card0"
EndSection

I can't imagine that being inaccessible by X apps.. and I believe I've seen
some apps report this info. It's something gdi32/user32 can then get for a
particular screen/adapter by calling into winex11.drv (if not also something
wined3d can use), instead of reporting "X Windows" for the card name.