Wine Gecko packaging

Jacek Caban jack at itma.pwr.wroc.pl
Tue Dec 30 09:43:10 CST 2008

Hi,

Now that we have a new Gecko, the work isn't done yet. All packages have
to be updated. Wine can use only the new version now, so if a package
contains an older version, it won't work and Gecko installer will be
used instead. The update is as simple as providing the new file instead
of the old one, so I believe it's not too much work. Note that for older
Wine versions, older Gecko must be used.

The problem is that we don't have a way to inform all packagers about
updates (not all of them follow wine-devel) and it would be nice to have
a communication channel so future releases won't have such problems.
Austin suggested announcing on wine-announce. There are only a few
people interested, so I could have a list of e-mail address or a Wiki
page with e-mail addresses of interested people and send announcement
e-mail directly. Please let me know, what works better.

I know about followed affected packages:
- Gentoo ebuild
I've CCed maintainer.
- Ubuntu package
- Mandriva
Marco was recently interested in providing a package
- winetricks
BTW, Dan, I think it's a good idea to have a Gecko option, but people
should learn about http://wiki.winehq.org/Gecko if possible instead of
depending on winetricks to do something that we already have implemented
in Wine.

I don't know about other distros, so please let me know if I've missed
something.

Thanks,
    Jacek