Call for winetest ing

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 5 12:18:12 CST 2008

On 05/02/2008, Jeremy White <jwhite at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> > If some people went through the trouble of using buildid's and not the
> > precompiled winetest, along with documenting their hardware/OS on a
> > wiki page, for instance, then we could more information on where
> > specific failures are occuring. For instance, I noticed Joapa was
> > reporting some MSI bugs, and was the only one posting an MSI failure
> > in the make test usually failing bug.
>
> Actually, I think there is a better solution.  If we want to capture
> additional system information, and there is a command line tool that
> would allow that, we can do so in the new 'runtests' script.

For hardware and software information, capturing this and including it
in the test results in an automated way is a good idea. Updates will
change Windows and Wine behaviour and thus affect the results. It is
not feasible to track this manually in a static page, nor reliable
when looking back at the data.

That said, some general information may be useful along with the build
id, for example:

    id ; owner ; OS ; Machine Type (Laptop, Desktop, VM, ...) ; Description

    Vista-HomePrem-NoUAC ; ReeceDunn ; Windows Vista Home Premium ;
Notebook ; Same as Vista-HomePrem-UAC, but with UAC disabled.
    wine-0.9.54 ; ReeceDunn ; Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (7.10) ; Notebook ;
Running with the Zune theme installed.

This would be supplementary to the automatically gathered data.

Another idea would be to store some user settings (like the above) for
each build id. If the settings exist, use them, otherwise prompt the
user for them. These can then be added into the Wine test results
data.

> Right now, I have it capturing gcc, glibc, and kernel version info,
> and that is all readily available as part of the nifty winetest results page.
>
> We could also conceivably add info on processor count and ram size,
> as well as video and audio card.  (But those would require slightly
> more sophisticated scripts to postprocess; we don't want to just
> dump the results of xdpyinfo for example...).

It would also be useful to detect driver name and version (e.g. nv,
proprietry NVidia or nouveau) to help track regressions.

- Reece