[5/8] WineD3D: Add infrastructure for faking driver versions

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Wed Feb 6 07:23:02 CST 2008

> Stefan Dösinger <stefan at codeweavers.com> writes:
>
> > Am Mittwoch, 6. Februar 2008 12:47:37 schrieb Alexandre Julliard:
> >> I don't see the point of going through all that trouble to return the
> >> real driver version on some platforms but not others. Since we have the
> >> infrastructure to fake it why not always use that?  We'll have to keep
> >> it up to date anyway.
> > For example, users with matching driver versions will get a correct
> warning
> > from Steam if their driver is outdated.
>
> And what are the consequences of an outdated driver? Isn't that
> something that wined3d should be working around anyway? What happens on
> platforms where version numbers don't match, do things silently break?
>
> --
> Alexandre Julliard
> julliard at winehq.org

Personally I don't think we should report the real driver version to the games as we aren't the same as the Windows Direct3D drivers. Second driver version parsing is a lot of work. Just on Linux nvidia already has two different versioning mechanisms, second on e.g. OSX the version string again has a different layout. Faking the driver numbers is the best thing to do in my opinion.

Roderick