Code quality (was Re: comctl32: Fix invalid syntax)

Francois Gouget fgouget at
Fri Feb 8 05:27:28 CST 2008

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Bang Jun-young wrote:
> In fact, this is a well known mistake many newbie Win32 developers
> make (and fix in minutes). It shouldn't have been in the tree in the
> first place if he actually have read the patch.

News flash!!!

You too are allowed to review patches posted to wine-patches and to
point out their flaws. Some people do so regularly and thus help
Alexandre. If bad patches are accepted it's partly your fault.

(and mine too cause I don't review patches enough)

> There are a lot of easily catchable bugs in the tree, for example,
> potential security holes like buffer overrun, meaningless comparison
> of unsigned < 0 (or > 0), misuse of BOOL vs. HRESULT, misuse of
> functions such as strcasecmp(), use of non-portable syntax, etc.

You are welcome to review the Wine code and submit patches too. Again
some others do so on a regular basis (me included this time :-). But if
you don't want Wine to get better, then sure, just bitch about it.

> That's the main reason why Wine keeps crashing every time I give it a
> try with my Windows apps.

Riiiight. It must be the *main* cause of crashes. All the stub functions
and unimplemented undocumented features must really be secondary causes
of crashes in comparison.

Francois Gouget <fgouget at>
                            1 + e ^ ( i * pi ) = 0