AppDB Issues

Jeremy Newman laxdragon at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 14:15:41 CST 2008

As many of you have noticed we've been having a bit of server trauma
this past month. The issue boils down to a bug somewhere in mysqld. We
are still trying to find the exact cause of the bug. We do have some
leads. I just wanted to do a brain dump on wine-devel here before I go
on Vacation for a week.

The problem:
mysqld will randomly eat up all resources on the system until the server
is completely unresponsive to anything but pings.

My band-aids thus far:
1. mysql is now running at a nice of 1. This should allow us to at least
ssh in and kill it if it gets out of control again.

2. I've removed InnoDB table support to save on memory. Not many tables
where using it anyway, and nothing is using transaction support at this
time.

3. I've patched the appdb to use memcached for session management. This
will reduce some load on the DB as the session table was busiest and
slowest table of the appdb.

These fixes should give longer uptime, but they are not solving the core
issue.

While I'm gone, if the server goes offline again, please contact
Alexandre or Jeremy White. They can kick proverbial butt of the server
to get it going again.

Lastly, sorry for the issues.

-Newman

"We do what we must because we can" - GLaDOS