gecko download not robust?

Jacek Caban jacek at
Sun Feb 10 12:44:14 CST 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Hmm.  gecko download hung for me once.  I saw
> fixme:urlmon:ProtocolStream_Read Read failed: 800c0008
> in the log, which makes me wonder if our download code
> doesn't handle transient network errors well.

It looks like urlmon bug. Our Gecko downloader is also not really
finished yet as its developing process stopped when it started to work.
BTW, as a side effect, my current work on urlmon will allow us to
improve the Gecko downloader a bit.

> Time to get rid of the download, and just bundle gecko outright, I say...

 I'd agree, but we need Gecko packages. AFAIK only Gentoo supports it ATM.