pdh[3:3]: remove unnecessary tests done inPdhLookupPerfNameByIndexW

Jeff Latimer lats at yless4u.com.au
Mon Feb 11 03:51:08 CST 2008

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>>> Changelog mentions PdhLookupPerfNameByIndexW by the change is in
>>> PdhLookupPerfNameByIndexA.
>>> Why are you removing the checks in one place by leave the same in
>>> other one? Why the tests
>>> are unnecessary?
>> The parameters, bufferW and sizeW passed by PdhLookupPerfNameByIndexA
>> to PdhLookupPerfNameByIndexW are  local to PdhLookupPerfNameByIndexA.
My understanding of your question is: if I am removing the tests in one
place then they should not be be necessary in the other.  This is not
the case.  A call to PdhLookupPerfNameByIndexA will call
PdhLookupPerfNameByIndexW and thus execute the all tests.  The way it is
at the moment the tests get executed twice (in the negative), this
change ensures that they only execute once.

> That doesn't mean that PdhLookupPerfNameByIndexW can't be called
> directly.
Correct and that is why the tests are left in place.

>> The test is needed still in PdhLookupPerfNameByIndexA because the
>> size and buffer are not passed but still need to be checked.
>
> That still doesn't answer my questions.
Does this clarify this things?