Fixing the last failing tests

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Wed Feb 13 09:51:51 CST 2008

On Tuesday 12 February 2008, James Hawkins wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2008 8:16 PM, Peter Dons Tychsen <donpedro at tdcadsl.dk> wrote:
> > Hello M.
> >
> > What is wrong with detecting the version, and branching the test code
> > accordingly? Other tests do that IIRC. I think that is a better
> > solution, if the version selector in winecfg is still going to be
> > meaningful (registry).
>
> The only time the tests should check for the windows version is if we
> know an app does the same thing, which is hardly ever.

Well, if we have an old app from win9x times, it will expect windows 95
behavior, without checking for windows version of course.

So if Wine is set to impersonate win95, then it should behave like on win95
and the tests should check windows (here: wine) version to select a proper
test. Such a version-specific test should pass on win95 and wine with win95
personality chosen. It should also pass on other versions, by choosing a
different path (and possibly doing nothing if it doesn't apply to that
windows version).

So, for example, methinks all applicable unicode tests should be disabled on
the early win95 versions which had no such support (if so bolt-on unicode is
detected).

Wouldn't that make sense?

Cheers, Kuba