ddraw / wined3d fighting over the resolution!

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Thu Feb 14 02:18:49 CST 2008

Am Donnerstag, 14. Februar 2008 04:22:16 schrieb Peter Dons Tychsen:
> Why does the SwapChain-destroy function play around with the resolution
> at all. Is that really necessary? I think it should not do it if the
> caller is ddraw at least.
I thought I'm filtering this out in the case of ddraw, but maybe that got
lost. The reason why the swapchain restores the resolution is the different
way ddraw/d3d8 and d3d8/d3d9 set up the screen.

In ddraw the app calls IDirectDraw7::SetDisplayMode. This sets the mode. Then
it creates a DDSCAPS_PRIMARYSURFACE surface, which creates the swapchain.

In d3d8/d3d9 the swapchain controls the video mode

I think the problem is that RestoreDisplayMode is called before the primary
surface is destroyed. The question is why this happens. I can think of the
following reasons:

-> Refcounting problem, or the app just doesn't release the surfaces. Then
ddraw.dll destroys the objects on DLL_PROCESS_DETACH

-> The app calls it that way. This needs a test, but I think it is not allowed
to call SetDisplayMode / RestoreDisplayMode while a primary surface is around