Autoplay considered harmful

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 19:07:32 CST 2008

On Feb 16, 2008 2:29 PM, Chris Robinson <chris.kcat at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some desktop managers already do autoplay-like behavior. In KDE, when I put in
> a CD/DVD for the first time, it'll ask me if I want to play it (if it's a
> video dvd/audio cd), if I want to open a burning program (if it's a blank
> cd/dvd), or if I want to browse it. And whether I want it to continue asking.
> It'd be quite annoying for both Wine *and* the DM to keep trying to autorun a
> disc I put in.

Ideally the freedesktop should define a spec (which they may already
do as part of HAL) that we should be able to interface with. There
should be a way to have the auto insert event detect a autorun.inf and
prompt the user if they want to open it with Wine. If no one else
wants to research it I'll try to take a look in to it sometime.

--
Steven Edwards