Next big app(s) to try?
denis.bonnenfant at diderot.org
Sun Feb 17 16:06:24 CST 2008
Another major application that may be interesting to support is SolidWorks.
- It's one of the most popular CAD application for mechanical design and
engineering, and surely the most used for educationnal purposes. Although the
industrial version is quite expensive, thousands of $ or €, it is availiable for
free for students in europe, and currently, it is the only app that may prevent
them from switching from Windows to Linux.
- The Vista version is a pure disaster (or is vista the disaster ?), on a
high-end notebook, it runs much slower than on a 4-years old low-end one with
Win2K ! I saw many users really disappointed having to switch their brand new
notebook back to XP, So there is a real "market" for linux/wine here !
- No MacOs version or alternatives.
- No opensource alternatives, and no linux native equivalents too ( Pro/E used
to have a linux version, but i have no news about it )
Technically, most of the work seems to be done, i'm regularly testing it against
new wine versions, and it mostly works, except 3 blocking bugs that prevent
any real use. Unfortunately, it looks like there are no other apps impacted, as
I saw no evolution for long months. :
+ installation just works out of the box, no tricks needed, so testing is really
simple, as the downloadable version can be run without registration during one
+ The modeler, the parasolid kernel, works perfectly. Very big assemblies can be
opened and modified, and all the functions works, except one.
- The most important function, extrude, is crashing, but it is related to the UI
only, I guess. unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the problem.
- OpenGL child windows bug http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2398, or its
cousin is still here, it was mostly solved by this patch
, but actual wine version is in regression.
- Can't save files, looks like some things are missing in storage implementation
- Big issues with flicker-free screen redraw, causing visual artifacts and huge
bitmaps to be allocated ( surely sync issues, causing0 messages to be passed in
bad order, with unallocated values) http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9561
More information about the wine-devel