appdb feature request: hide the ugly urls

Remco remco47 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 17 19:33:33 CST 2008

> http://appdb.winehq.org/app/command-conquer-3-tiberium-wars/
> doesn't sound too bad, actually.  And if somebody types in
> an ambiguous URL, like
> http://appdb.winehq.org/app/command-conquer
> they should get a list of matching apps.  So this is kind of
> like a search function rather than a unique ID.
> The difference being that apps would normally be
> displayed at their shortest unique human-readable URL
> rather than by ID #.
> This may have an obscure but important benefit: I
> read on the web somewhere that it boosts search engine rankings.
> (Not that I'd know; I'm way away from that part of google.)
> - Dan

I'm pretty sure that's just because of the related words in the URL. An additional number doesn't hurt ranking. I know a lot of sites use an ID number and a title. The title makes it easy to see what the link points to. That's a usability benefit of itself. I don't think people should start using the URL bar as a search engine. The AppDB has a nice search engine already. And I think searching for literally all URLs is going to put a lot of strain on the server.

Remco