iTunes

Maarten Lankhorst m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 23:16:31 CST 2008

Hi James,

2008/2/17, James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com>:
> On Feb 17, 2008 11:07 PM, Maarten Lankhorst <m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The Bonjour service depends on the tcpip service.  As far as I know,
> > > we don't provide that service.  What registry keys are you referring
> > > to?
> > Keys like:
> > In HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Bonjour Service:
> > ImagePath="C:\...."
> > Start=0x00000002
> > Description="....."
> >
> > Those are not created during install. If I manually add them the
> > 'bonjour service' will report success on start, but actually crash
> > right after. However it is enough to satisfy the itunes installer.
> > Without those it will report failure without even attempting to start
> > the service. :-)
> >

> hmm according to the logs, the service is installed just fine.  You'd
> get an err otherwise.  The dependencies aren't listed, but since we
> don't have the tcpip service anyway, it won't make a difference
> (though that might be why it crashes when you get the service to
> start.)
There is a big difference. Without it it will abort installation
because the bonjour service fails to start. With it it will start but
immediately crash, however that happens after start so installation
happily continues. The effect is that installer will continue. I don't
see how it can be fine if it fails to create the appropiate registry
keys.

Cheers,
Maarten.