Do we need a forum?

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Mon Feb 18 14:21:46 CST 2008

On Monday February 18 2008 19:44:08 Austin English wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2008 12:35 PM, L. Rahyen <research at science.su> wrote:
> >         Of course, there is some people who like forums. If we decide to
> > create forum specifically for them, it is important to have possibility
> > to subscribe for receiving all (full) messages from the forum to e-mail
> > with direct link to reply page for corresponding message, and ability to
> > login permanently without stupid timeout (using cookies). In fact there
> > is some forums like this (unfortunately, all of them are unrelated to
> > WINE) and they are pretty usable (however, personally I like mailing
> > lists more, and didn't used forums for a long time). Of course, if there
> > is no volunteer(s) to create and support such forum - then wine-users is
> > enough I think.
>
> In my experience, the 'older' crowd prefers newsgroups, but 'younger'
> people prefer message boards. Similar to how more advanced users
> prefer CLI, but inexperienced/novices use GUI. It seems to me we're
> trying to help the gui type of person, and a message board would be an
> easier way to do this, IMHO.

	Then what exactly we want? It is useful to decide what we need. For example,
phpBB forum with certain mods/modifications to give functionality I
mentioned. If we agree with this (or decide to choose something else), then
we can discuss next details, etc.
	In fact, if we decide to create phpBB forum, I can help here. I have
programming experience with this in the past, and I can create ready-for-use
forum if we decide we need this (of course I can make also its design, etc.).
Also, I can give hosting on my server.
	But first, we should make decision what we need. If above offer is
acceptable, then design details can be discussed farther. If not then what is
acceptable.