website: add links to most popular active Wine forums

Steven Edwards winehacker at
Thu Feb 21 20:48:50 CST 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at> wrote:
> can explain what it is that makes google groups suck,
>  maybe I can do something about it.  Send those comments
>  to me offlist, though.

I can't think of a way to make it not suck so sending these thoughts
here as they relate still to the current discussion about the
wine-users gateway...

I think the problem is more inherit in newsgroup design. Like you can
view topics in but there is no way to have topics broken in to
categories. I guess this is historical as the traditional newsgroup
structure would have each group be its own catagory if there was
enough demand

example newsgroup structure would be

but we just have because the demand
metric is not high enough to have separate groups for each category.
Plus it would make searching a bitch

This is where forums really shine over google groups or a traditional
mailing list to forum gateway. I am all for having mailman cross post
to a forum category but ideally the forum should be an alternative
front end with categories for wine-users and the wine newsgroup.

I don't think it would be any trouble to get Tom's site to have a
gateway that pulled wine-users and the newsgroup feeds in read-only.
If someone wants to post to those forums they would still have to use
traditional means ala mailing list, google groups, but it would
provide a unified location for read-only access. Of course if the
gateway is turned back on I guess wine-users and the newsgroups are
really a single source.

So to recap. Its all about categories for me.

Steven Edwards