X developer's conference, April 16-18

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Tue Feb 26 06:53:23 CST 2008

Am Montag, 25. Februar 2008 19:21:18 schrieb Roderick Colenbrander:
> > Did someone mention a nice way to query amount of video card's onboard
> > VRAM?
>
> I talked about that with some X developers a while ago and they felt (and I
> agree with them) that this is something that should not be exported. OpenGL
> hides it from us for a reason. It is against the philosophy of GL. DirectX
> allows it but the same as exporting the pci id, it is not something that
> should be exported in my opinion.
There's GL_ATI_meminfo, but no spec about it. I think I found a way to find
the current free video memory, but not the total one. The current free vidmem
is comparably uninteresting because it is managed by opengl anyway and we
cannot implement a proper D3DPOOL_DEFAULT pool due to that.

I haven't seen any equivalent to this on the nvidia side