xrandx responds with too many modes.

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Fri Jan 4 08:47:13 CST 2008

H. Verbeet wrote:
> On 04/01/2008, Peter Dons Tychsen <donpedro at tdcadsl.dk> wrote:
>> The xrandx X11 extension is very handy.
>> Using it for wine makes great sense.
>>
>> But... the extension also enumerates a whopping amount of modes.
>> Each resolution has a multitude of frequencies and bit-depth variants.
>>
>> Some applications are simply not prepared for that magnitude of
>> information when they call EnumDisplaySettings() (user32) or
>> EnumDisplayModes (ddraw).
>>
>> When using "normal" windows, only a few modes are returned.
>>
>> I know its not a bug, as it could happen on Windows if someone published
>> a driver which implemented tons of silly and crooked modes.
>>
>> Would it be acceptable to insert a filter in xrandx.c (X11-drv),
>> which only allowed "normal" windows resolutions to be enumerated?
>> Does anyone need those awkward ones?
>>
>> The filter would look allot like the one in desktop.c (X11-drv) which is
>> currently used by the desktop mode.
>>
>> I already fixed a portion of the bugs caused by this, as there was a
>> natural limitation which should be set by EnumDisplayModes() which was
>> not honored. I sent in patch for this already. So at least now we can
>> play the classic "Grand Theft Auto"....
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> /p
>>
> Is this with a specific X driver? The binary nvidia driver only lists
> modes explicitly declared in xorg.conf.
Huh? I don't declare any mode in the xorg.conf and i'm using the nvidia
binary driver. The drivers can figure out nowadays what works or
doesn't. I get 9 modes back but i have a max resolution of only 1280x1024.

bye
	michael
--
Michael Stefaniuc                           Tel.: +49-711-96437-199
Consulting Communications Engineer          Fax.: +49-711-96437-111