Improving Default Serial Port Configuration

Forrest Samuels forrest at alumni.ncsu.edu
Mon Jan 14 09:17:27 CST 2008

On Jan 13, 2008 8:39 AM, Hans Leidekker <hans at it.vu.nl> wrote:
> On Sunday 13 January 2008 06:19:06 Forrest Samuels wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any insight on where I should start looking to
> > implement this? Implementation suggestions? In the bug, Juan Lang made
> > the suggestion that "Explorer's hal.c should be extended to create new
> > devices for all the ports it finds, using SetupDiCreateDeviceInfo
> > followed by SetupDiRegisterDeviceInfo. For some devices it should also
> > call SetupDiCreateDeviceInterface to register a particular interface."
> > I've looked in programs/explorer/hal.c and I am not sure where to
> > begin hooking something like that in.
>
> I'd like to know where and when SetupDiRegisterDeviceInfo gets called on
> Windows. I know that Alexandre is planning to move drive detection from
> explorer to mountmgr.sys, serial devices will probably end up in serial.sys
> or something like that. Perhaps this could work by making the driver itself
> do device registration.
>
>  -Hans

Is there a time frame for the mountmgr.sys changes? Do I need to wait
until Alexandre makes those changes or could I start working on this
fix elsewhere and just move it later. I'm not really sure where to
start and would love a little direction to get started. I don't think
this is taking on too much for my first work on wine but I may be
wrong on that too. Thanks for the help.

--
Forrest Samuels (forrest at alumni.ncsu.edu)