GOM player

Rolf Kalbermatter r.kalbermatter at hccnet.nl
Fri Jan 18 13:34:20 CST 2008

On 1/17/08, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/17/linux.korea
> says everyone in Korea uses the GOM player...
> It installs ok, but blew up when I tried to load the Sony music
> stream from its playlist. ...
> http://www.gomplayer.com/
> supposedly comes with lots of codecs.

I tried it some time ago. On the pro side it supports just about any
media stream out of the box, well ok quite a lot. It's a one time stop
for RM, WMF and QT media.

On the con side I didn't like it's perseverance in trying to install all
kinds of additional "gadgets" that I wouldn't care of or wouldn't fully
trust with.

As nice as it seemed to be able to watch just about every common media
format out there, I deinstalled it after a short trial. Didn't test it
in Wine though as watching media in Linux itself although not as painless
isn't that difficult either.

For my Windows box I use Media Player Classic with QT and RM codec support
now and that works almost flawlessly.

Rolf Kalbermatter