LoadStringW [1/2]

Christopher raccoonone at procyongames.com
Mon Jan 21 14:47:32 CST 2008

James Hawkins wrote:
> On Jan 21, 2008 2:14 PM, Christopher <raccoonone at procyongames.com> wrote:
>
>> Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>>> Also, you need to test LoadStringA, to see if it behaves similarly. It
>>> would be
>>> also interesting to test LoadStringA/W with both buffer and buffer
>>> length set
>>> to 0.
>>>
>>> In addition, as I already pointed out you need to inspect Wine source
>>> and fix
>>> the places which will be broken by your fix.
>>>

>> I tested LoadStringA under Windows XP, and calling it with buflen == 0
>> does not return a pointer to the resource. In fact LoadStringA seems to
>> behave fairly differently from LoadStringW: in that calling with buffer
>> == NULL causes an access violation instead of just returning 0.
>>

> That's why you need to add tests for LoadStringA to Wine's test suite.

How can I test for an access violation, won't that crash the test suite?
Also, what's the guideline for what functions I need to write tests for
when I send in a patch? I still don't understand why I need to write a
test for LoadStringA since it has no dependence on LoadStringW (the
function I'm patching).