[msi/tests] Install tests on win9x and NT4

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 23 10:56:40 CST 2008

On 23/01/2008, Paul Vriens <paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently the install test fail/crash on at least win95 and NT4. The main reason
> I found was that pMsiQueryComponentStateA and pMsiSourceListGetInfoA are not
> guarded.
>
> Does it makes sense to guard every instance of these calls and just continue:
>
> if (pMsiSourceListGetInfoA)
> {
>     call
>     test outcome
> }
>
> or should we skip the whole subtest when the function is not available.

It depends on what the test is doing. If the test needs the result of
that function to run the remainder of the sub-test, it shoud skip the
remainder of the sub-test (preferably with some information on why the
test is skipped). If the test is only using that function to get some
extended information, then each instance needs to be guarded.

In general, i suspect that most of these will result in the sub-test
being skipped (especially if that function is what is being tested).

As for any helper macros, in the case where the sub-test is skipped, a
macro could be created to simplify this. Apart from that, I don't know
of anything to simplify it. Besides, having the conditional for
non-skipping sub-tests makes it explicit what the codepath is.

- Reece