question for dumps

Juan Carlos Montes jcmontes at cert.inteco.es
Fri Jan 25 02:20:15 CST 2008

Ok, i can make the patch.

what do you need to make the new channel?

I use this code to dump:

// Insert to dump buffers
// Inserted by Juan Carlos Montes
// Date: 23/01/08
char file_name[255] = "";
sprintf( file_name, "dumps\\wsasendto_%d", GetTickCount()+rand() );
HANDLE file = CreateFileA( file_name, GENERIC_WRITE | GENERIC_READ, 0, NULL,
	                   CREATE_ALWAYS, 0, NULL );
DWORD bytes = 0, pos = 0;
for (pos=0; pos<dwBufferCount; pos++)
	WriteFile( file, lpBuffers[pos].buf, lpBuffers[pos].len, &bytes, NULL );
CloseHandle( file );
TRACE( "filename %s\n", file_name );
// End to insert

At this time, i have dumps for WriteFile, ReadFile, WSASendTo and WSARecvFrom.
But i need it for Registry set value functions...

Do you want that i make a diff with all change?

Alex Villací­s Lasso escribió:
> Alex Villací­s Lasso escribió:
>> Juan Carlos Montes escribió:
>>
>>> I dont like change the source to use all versions of wine... but...
>>>
>>> I'll try make a debugger to dump the memory.
>>>
>>> So... thanks a lot.

>> Could you please explain *why* you need to peek into the buffer data? Is
>> there a mismatch between what the app intends to send to the socket and
>> the actual wire contents of the packet? Do you have a bug opened for
>> whatever issue the app is experiencing? It seems strange that you
>> mention making this change for *all* versions of Wine, unless I have
>> misunderstood your comment, or somehow you are interested in dumping the
>> data for a reason other than debugging Wine itself.
>>
>> BTW: se habla español (fuera de la lista de discusión).
>>

> You could add a new debugging channel, for example "winsock_buffer",
> that will do what you want. This channel might be actually useful for
> purposes other than malware scanning, as the buffers the app prepares
> (or receives) could reveal mistakes in data processed with Wine's
> implementation of functions. I suggest that you create a patch for this
> and send it to wine-patches. If your patch is accepted, future versions
> of Wine will have your required functionality added, which happens to be
> useful to others too.
>
> To the rest of the list, what do you think?

Juan Carlos Montes Senra
INTECO-CERT
Instituto Nacional de Tecnologías de la Comunicación
email: juancarlos.montes at inteco.es | jcmontes at cert.inteco.es
Tlf. 0034 987 877 189 - ext. 532