EnterCriticalSection throws exception?

Maarten Lankhorst m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 21:44:42 CDT 2008

Hello,

2008/7/2 Huang, Zhangrong <hzhrong at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> 2008/7/3 Rob Shearman <robertshearman at gmail.com>:
>> A bit of lateral thinking is needed, I feel, since contention between
>> threads is going to be an issue even if the lock doesn't time out. The
>> wininet code should be converted to using getaddrinfo and as a bonus
>> it will also start supporting IPv6 hosts.
>
> I see.
>
>>>  So I suggest a feature that EnterCriticalSection throws exception for
>>> Wine internal locks only when debug is present.
>
> Can we accept this feature: throw exception only when debug is present?
I think that is a bad idea, while there might be 1 or 2 real genuine
uses for only throwing an exception while debugging, 99% of the time
it's really wine deadlocking itself, it's wine's own fault and I would
rather see the backtraces of the deadlock rather then the app hanging
forever.

Critical sections are meant for short time locks, if you keep a
critical section for more then 1 minute there is something seriously
wrong.

Cheers,
Maarten.