programs: add rudimentary dxdiag

Detlef Riekenberg wine.dev at web.de
Sun Jul 6 08:25:44 CDT 2008

On Mi, 2008-07-02 at 23:02 +0000, Louis Lenders wrote:

> so for now i'd have to guess :
> 1. no need for a dxdiag in wine
> 2. my patches are too crappy to respond to.
>
> In both cases it's useless to leave thebug i  opened for missing dxdiag  open,
> so i'll abandon it (bug 14118)

Louis, please do not give up and reopen the bug.
You got already some comments, and I want to give some more Ideas.

- You told, that you reuse the code for the cube from the internet.
  That is a no-go because of copyright and license issues!
  Where does the code came from?
  What is the license for that code?
  - Remember, that Wine is "LGPL v2.1 or later".
  - You can't use GPL code (That would force Wine to GPL)
  - You can't use LGPL v3 code (That would force Wine to LGPL v3)
  The code works, as show in your demonstration, but IMHO the best thing
  is to use the math. formula with a clean implementation from scratch.
  - Multiple backends with support for different color-depth
    should then be possible: OpenGL, GDI, DX7, DX8, DX9.

- You told, that minimizing the Cube-Window does not work now,
  but worked in an old Wine.
  You think, that this is an Regression in Wine.
  It's also possible, that there was an bug in Wine which is now fixed
  and your dxdiag code is not correct.
  Only a Regression-Test can help for this issue.
  Again, a clean implementation can avoid this issue.

Thanks for helping Wine

--

By by ... Detlef