winequartz.drv Mac OS X UI discontinued?

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 01:27:00 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 5:41 AM, Adam Strzelecki <ono at java.pl> wrote:
> OK, I'm sorry. I don't want to accuse anybody, I just made a false
> equation between Alexandre and CodeWeavers taken from About Us page.
> It was just said once that winequartz.drv won't go into official Wine,
> and the top reason was Objective-C and this was just a bizarre
> decision for me. Objective-C is almost as old as C++ and it was just
> chosen for an object model of OSX (NextStep previously) in opposition
> to pure C messaging of Windows and C++ for COM interfaces, etc. So
> IMHO no for Objective-C means no for decent Mac OSX support, period.

I don't know if having the quartzdrv in Winehq, even if was written in
pure C would be a good idea. I think there is a lot of pressure on him
to accept it (I've pestered him about it enough before) but he needs
to be free to break the driver interface from time to time to improve
it and its really forcing him to do work twice if quartzdrv and x11drv
are both in the winehq repo.

I think everybody would be better served if there was a "blessed"
branch or git repo that quartzdrv was maintained in, where it could be
done in Objective-C or however its maintainer wanted to do it, and
Winehq could recommend users wanting it to go there. If the maintainer
does not do a good job keeping it stable, fast and passing all of the
wine tests, Alexandre could always revoke his blessing. I created a
branch on repo.or.cz to do this but it needs more attention than I've
been able to give it lately. If we just accept that quartzdrv might
never be merged its not a big deal. Winehq users, CodeWeavers and
anyone else can still pull from it and or throw resources at it to
make it better, without adding more work on Julliard.

--
Steven Edwards