Installing Wine's fonts system-wide: which ones are worthwhile?

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 11 15:59:04 CDT 2008

Scott Ritchie wrote:
> After being partially inspired by Ubuntu brainstorm, it occurred to me
> that some of our fonts would be useful everywhere, but the current Wine
> package keeps its fonts to itself.  Tahoma, for instance, could be
> useful if someone tries to open a Word document in Open Office.
>
> The solution varies across distributions, however in Ubuntu and Debian's
> case it means naming the fonts specifically and creating a hints file.
>
> So, which ones should be installed this way?

It used to make some difference, but lately with the Liberation fonts, it
doesn't any more.

If you insist, just dropping the fonts into ${HOME}/.fonts for a per-user
basis (all applications of this user), or /usr/share/fonts or thereabouts for
truly system-wise installation. I don't think you need to name the fonts
specially or doing anything with hints or whatever. Sym-links also work, I believe.