How long does it take you to compile wine?

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Wed Jul 16 09:40:24 CDT 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:

>> Details are on buried that page, but it's "-j3" for the dual core /
>> dual CPU systems.
>>
>> I found a nice graph of Wine's codebase size over time:
>> http://www.ohloh.net/projects/wine/analyses/latest
>> Looks like it's just about exactly doubled since that
>> last measurement in late 2002.
>
> http://techgage.com/article/intel_core_2_duo_e7200_-_the_new_budget_superstar/11
> has some recent wine build benchmarks:
>
> Time to build wine-0.9.59:
> quad core, -j 5:
> QX9770: 182s
> QX9650: 193s
> QX6850: 200s
> Q9450: 216s
I have tested this on F9 with gcc-4.3.0 and Wine-1.0 and get for the
Q9450 305 seconds. The compiler advances kill performance faster than
CPU vendors can add it... Though to be fair gcc-4.3.0 does more checks
than gcc-4.1.x by default with -Wall; the bounds check come to mind.

bye
	michael

--
Michael Stefaniuc                           Tel.: +49-711-96437-199
Consulting Communications Engineer          Fax.: +49-711-96437-111