That tiny OpenGL app

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 04:21:02 CDT 2008

On Thursday 17 July 2008 01:43:26 am Markus Hitter wrote:
> Am 17.07.2008 um 00:56 schrieb Chris Robinson:
> > Try linking with MinGW's libs, not Wine's.
>
> My understanding is, MinGW dosn't come with libs, but uses the native
> (Windows) ones.

The cross-compiler comes with win32 import/static libs. Since MinGW is a
Windows port of GCC (and the cross-compiler is basically a port back), the
libs it comes with are native Windows. The -L switches, however, point the
compiler to Wine's ELF libs, which the native .exe it produces doesn't
understand.

Otherwise, you can probably use winegcc and make a winelib app, which can use
Wine's libs (but then won't run on Windows).

> If I comment out the non-linkable lines, the apps runs under Wine and
> MessageBoxes pop up.

What MessageBoxes?

> I guess I'll have to set up a virtual machine running the real thing.
> There are so many levels of abstraction (64-bit Ubuntu -> 32-bit app,
> Linux environment -> Windows libraries, Linux build platform ->
> Windows binaries), making my setup pretty fragile.

64-bit Linux should run 32-bit Windows binaries fine with Wine. OpenGL apps,
too. Of course you'll need the 32-bit Linux libs installed for Wine to use,
however.