GL_INVALID_ENUM errors with FBO

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Thu Jul 24 11:27:16 CDT 2008

H. Verbeet wrote:
> 2008/7/24 Vitaliy Margolen <wine-devel at kievinfo.com>:
>> I've been trying to track some of the errors that I get with different
>> games. To do that I've added some extra traces and this is what I see:
>>
>> fixme:d3d_surface:read_from_framebuffer_texture glReadBuffer(0x405) was
>> 0x8ce0 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_ENUM (0x500) @
>> ../../../wine.git/dlls/wined3d/surface.c / 918
>>
>> 0x405 is GL_BACK and 0x8ce0 is GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0_EXT. Also when this
>> happens I have an inverted image of the entire screen in the left bottom
>> corner. Is this an indication that we are reading from the wrong surface? Or
>> writing into the wrong surface?
>>
> The problem is that GL_BACK isn't a valid read buffer when an FBO is
> bound. Most of the problem there comes from the fact that
> apply_fbo_state() should happen inside ActivateContext() rather than
> before or after it. I'm working on trying to fix this, what I've got
> so far is at http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=15013, you might
> want to give that a try to see if it fixes anything. I've already been
> told it introduces some other errors though (see bug 14038), so it's
> not quite ready yet.

Yes the patch does fix the problem for me with at least two programs I've
tested - Psychonauts demo and Tomb Raider - Legend demo. And didn't see any
side affects. But the full version of Psychonauts crashes after initial
videos. Same as it did when we had problems with multi-threaded games.

>> Attached is the patch that produces the above output. BTW if it looks fine
>> to you guys (that extra TRACE()/FIXME() call overhead) then I can send it to
>>  wine-patches as well.
>>
> checkGLcall is relatively expensive already, but that's mostly due to
> the glGetError() it does. I don't think an extra TRACE or FIXME will
> make it much worse.

I will see if there is a way to add that and also address the issue of the
race between two separate messages that Chris was talking about.

Vitaliy.