Bizarre idea: creating our own extension to msi for cross-platform installers

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Sun Jul 27 04:00:38 CDT 2008

Am 27.07.2008 um 10:39 schrieb Scott Ritchie:

> This way, a single .msi file could be a true universal installer for
> both Windows machines and Linux machines.

This is a good idea. However, if developers intentionally develop for
Wine they can easily go a step further and build a native Linux (rpm,
apt) package, even if they link against Wine libraries. The later
will always have the better user experience as it integrates better
into Linux distribution mechanisms and (optionally) frees from
Windows' shortcomings.

I doubt vendors will actively support (= be responsible for failures)
installing apps with/in Wine. Even if they allow it or help fixing
Wine bugs, this will always be a small but important niche.

my $0.02
MarKus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/