Failing tests: now what?

Juan Lang juan.lang at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 22:01:50 CDT 2008

Following through with Francois's suggestion, I extracted the user32
tests.  They still fail for me:  81 failures in menu.c, all having to
do with the expected width of menu items [1], which is precisely what
I wanted to address.

So I'm stymied how I'm going to convince Alexandre that my little menu
patch [2] is correct.  Vim is clearly broken without the patch, and
looks correct with it.  The user32 tests pass for me (in Wine) with
and without the patch.  None of the apps I've tried appear changed by
the patch, though there's always the possibility.  I can't verify it's
correct in the usual way, by writing a test, because the existing
tests fail for me in Windows.  (Alexandre's never said he wants a
test, but then again he hasn't said anything yet, either.)

If anyone has any suggestions how I can get this accepted, I'm all
ears.  Thanks,
--Juan

[1] Typical failure:
menu.c:432: Test failed: menu width wrong, got 109 expected 102
[2] http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2008-May/055101.html