French translation only partial?

Frans Kool frans.kool at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 17:05:55 CDT 2008

Hi,

I just had a look at the French translation of the
dlls/kernel32/nls/winerr_fra.mc file.
I noticed only the first 54 messages have been translated, whereas the other
1876 are still the English originals.

Was this on purpose? Or was this a partial translation which needs to be
finalized (the remaining 97.2%)?
I'm all for translating Wine in as many languages as possible, but I doubt this
is the way to get there. Is there some way to detect if the 'translation' of a
message is identical to the original (English) one and have it show up as
'partially translated' in the translation overview [1]?

As a side note, is there any review on translations or is the policy "any
translation is better than no translation"? When Wine 1.0 is going to be
released, how can we be sure that the application is actually
completely translated.
For example, if I really wanted to harm translations, I could make a copy of all
English resource files, just change the 'LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_DEFAULT'
to whatever language I would like to 'translate' and submit them.
As far as I know, there is no way of detecting this.

Anyone got ideas?

Frans.

[1] http://pf128.krakow.sdi.tpnet.pl/wine-transl/index.php