Time to update Wine's status?

Paul Vriens paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 16:25:19 CDT 2008

Scott Ritchie wrote:
> Edward Savage wrote:
>>> I propose we get rid of the page altogether, it's pretty much useless
>>> for figuring out how good Wine is.  This is unfortunate, since it's
>>> often the first place people click.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Scott Ritchie
>>>

>> I found it very handy to track down details on mswsock the other day.
>>
>> I suggest if it is to be removed instead dull it down by turning it in
>> to a list of dlls wine has and all available information in the form
>> of links for each dll is listed so that people can speedily find say
>> the msdn page or relevant wiki pages.  That way it would still be a
>> handy resource without being a pain to answer to users why a dll is
>> only 96.23% complete on an out dated page.
>
> Why not just move the whole thing into the wiki then?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Ritchie

That still leaves the question, who decides how 'good' a dll is?

Can't we come up with some guesstimate? We know how many functions there are for
a given dll, we know how much is implemented, we (could) know how much is tested
and we know how much of those tests are todo's.

Asking a developer to give the status of a dll is possible but that's against
the current knowledge. If a new app comes out tomorrow and it uses a whole new
set of (not 100% implemented) API's the status drops.

--
Cheers,

Paul.