[legal] eligibility for contributing code to wine for students / graduates of a course derived from the Microsoft Windows Acadamic Program

Kornél Pál kornelpal at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 10:46:18 CDT 2008

Hi,

> IANAL, but the sources are for the kernel only. This does not include
> the UI and other DLLs built on top of the kernel. If we know what DLLs
> the sources correspond to, shouldn't the students be restricted to not
> contributing to those DLLs only (just like if you use Visual Studio
> you can't contribute to the ATL or the C/C++ runtime libraries)?

I believe that we shouldn't go this far:
"if you use Visual Studio you can't contribute to the ATL or the C/C++
runtime libraries"

Visual Studio is an IDE, compiler and documentation suite. If you use
Visual Studio, you will not see any source code, unless you install it,
and look at it at your own will.

> We also need a position on .NET participation, because I believe that
> the sources come with the MSDN version of Visual Studio 2008. I don't
> know how far that goes as I only have upto 2005.

.NET Framework source code is not included in Visual Studio but Visual
Studio can download it.

Source of information:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sharedsource/rscc.mspx

Visual Studio is a development platform rather than a source code
collection.

I see banning people from contributing to Wine being only one step from
banning people from contributing to Wine who use Microsoft Windows.

I hope this is not the "official" point of view.

Kornél