Made ENTER_GL() - LEAVE_GL() free X11 lock on exception inside opengl, code

Massimo Del Fedele max at veneto.com
Sat Jun 28 15:50:09 CDT 2008

Chris Robinson ha scritto:
> On Saturday 28 June 2008 07:51:53 am Massimo Del Fedele wrote:
>> Roderick Colenbrander ha scritto:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I don't think we want to go this way. First of all we want to emulate
>>> win32 opengl. If windows does this we MIGHT have to do something like
>>> this.
>> Well, I've never seen windows hang for an opengl call exception... But I
>>    can be wrong. IMHO the exception should be catched and/or propagated,
>> not allowed to block the whole app.....
>> Here the problem is that an exception thrown by gl code skips the
>> wine_tsx11_unlock() call, blocking all following X11 code.
>
> I think the issue is that it shouldn't be crashing. Especially if we don't
> know why it's crashing,...

well, there are not so many places... it crashes on a glGetString(),
which accepts a scalar value and returns a static string pointer.
No dynamic data, no bad pointers outside it.
So it must be a crash INSIDE opengl code.
It's called (wrongly) without an opengl context, but that's how autocad
installer does, so it should NOT crash because of that.
In windows it just returns NULL pointer, in wine, with a simple test app
it also returns NULL, so we can't reproduce with a simple test case.
Maybe some previous GL call damages some internal opengl data... but I'm
still convinced that as it doesn't crash in windows it should not do it
in wine. Or, at least it should free the lock when crashing.....

> this patch is just hiding the error more than
> anything.

Not exactly. Latest patch (the try...finally) doesn't hide anything, it
just frees the lock upon crash in gl code, which imho is correct
behaviour. Autocad installer ignores the crash and follows, with the
patch. Without it, it hangs on next x11 call.

For all we know it can be a buffer overrun somewhere, and you don't
> want to just work around things like that.
>
>>> Second all opengl calls hit ENTER_GL / LEAVE_GL and these few extra calls
>>> affect performance.
>> which extra calls ?
>
> The __TRY stuff. It's rather expensive to set up an exception block, even in
> C++ where it's part of the language (let alone how Wine does it in C). But we
> do know D3D doesn't catch exceptions in most cases (it can crash in plenty of
> ways), so I don't think this is correct anyway.

The first patch proposed (and another, more complete), IS a workaround.
We checks if a context exists and, if none, we just return NULL instead
locking-calling-unlocking. Windows behaviour is that one, so it should
do no harm.

The problem here is not catching/not catching the exception; I agree
that it should be uncaught and let to user code. The problem is the
stale lock with has nothing to do with user code.
If some app has a code like that :

try {
   do_some_gl_call();
} catch (...)
   error_handling()
}
some_x11_call();  <== it will hang here

On ANY opengl exception it'll not have any chance to correct the error
and continue.

Max