winex11.drv: Add DefaultRefreshRates option to specify refreshratewhen application does not

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Mon Mar 3 10:10:50 CST 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Dmitry Timoshkov
<dmitry at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> "Denver Gingerich" <denver at ossguy.com> wrote:
>

> > The only way I could see of modifying the default refresh rate under
>  > Windows is to change it through Display Settings.  Unfortunately, not
>  > all Wine platforms have this option.  On my system, where the Nvidia
>  > binary driver automatically constructs a list of modes (there are no
>  > ModeLine entries in xorg.conf), there does not appear to be a
>  > mechanism for modifying the mode list.
>
>  Why do you need to modify the modes list?

Using the current Wine code (without this patch), modifying the modes
list so that a particular refresh rate appears first in the list is
the only way that I can see to specify a default refresh rate for a
given resolution.  This is because the current Wine code chooses the
first mode that matches the resolution if no refresh rate is specified
even if there are other modes with the same resolution but different
refresh rates.

I think what you're saying is that Wine's current behavior (pick the
first mode with matching resolution) does not necessarily reflect
Windows' behavior so testing needs to be done to see what algorithm
Windows uses to determine the refresh rate when it isn't specified.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

> You need to figure out how
>  Windows chooses from the list of available modes when refresh rate is
>  not specified. Does it select first/best/any from the list?

This test definitely needs to be done.  I will hopefully have time in
the next few days but if someone else beats me to it, I won't
complain.

Denver